Noticed blood squirting while shaving lower leg. What should be done?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I WAS SHAVING MY LOWER LEG AND NOTICED BLOOD WAS SQUIRTING LIKE TWO FEET IT WAS A VERY SMALL SPOT
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 36 minutes later
Blood squirting from single point up to two feet, can be seen only in arterial bleed.
It is highly unlikely to cut an artery while shaving, although it is possible on lower leg, around ankles where the arteries are superficial.
Any bleeding or clotting disorder cannot be thought of, as you mentioned bleeding is just from a spot.

Please do not worry, just apply a topical antibiotic, and dress that area with bit tight bandage (pressure bandage) sufficient enough to stop bleeding.

Next time be careful while shaving in that area.
You may change the type of blade.

Hope I answered your query,
Feel free to ask any further doubt.

Thank you

Follow-up: Noticed blood squirting while shaving lower leg. What should be done? 5 hours later
Thank you I do feel bettet it was scary I do have spider veins that seem close to the skin is that possible or what you meant it was only the size of maybe the point of.a pencil but the blood was strong.I know you answered the question it was frightening just need a little more informtion.thank you so much.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 15 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query.
You have observed it very correctly.
Actually, spider veins are not veins they are fine arteries (arterioles), any cut in these will lead to squirting type of bleed.
Please be careful while shaving over these areas.
If you are satisfied with the answer, kindly rate it before closing.
Thank you