Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed blood in urine. Sonogram showed not emptying bladder properly. Chances of bladder cancer?

I went to my urologist today and he said I have blood in my urine and the sonogram showed I was not empying by bladder. He is doing a culture. I also have urgency and a feeling of pressure all the time. I'm also going to schedule a cat scan. What are the chances that I have bladder cancer
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 38 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
I went through your history.
I understand you have blood in urine by doing a urine test.
This means you have not seen blood in the urine on inspection.
In this situation , the chances of having infection as a cause of blood is more than due to cancer, especially as the ultrasound scan has not shown any growth.
So we need to wait for the urine culture result and probably a CT/cystoscopy to rule out tumour.
Hope this helps,
Best regards
Follow-up: Noticed blood in urine. Sonogram showed not emptying bladder properly. Chances of bladder cancer? 17 minutes later
I was told the Dr. did not think it was an infection., He also told me he was sending me to another urologist to put a device like a pacemaker on my bladder to stop the frequency and urgency of my urination. I'm not sure what this is. could you explain?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 25 minutes later
Welcome back.
The device placement depends on your complete examination and evaluation.
The evaluation would have included urodynamic study to check bladder filling and emptying.
Based on all these, a decision would have been made.
This is not related to bladder cancer.
So you need to be evaluated in two angles.
1. Functional study of the bladder in the form of urodynamic study, if not done already.
2. Rule out bladder tumor.
So, i think it is a right approach to send to someone else doing the device, if one is really needed based on the assessment by your urologist.
But at the same time , tumour needs to be ruled out.
best regards