Noticed blood in phlegm. Had taken antibiotics like Roxid. Suggest?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello, My age is 37, last week I travelled by air for 25 hours and from next day I am getting blood in my phlegm, I don't feel any cold symptoms, and do see blood more in morning and then it goes away. I remeber it has happened before with me when I had to travel to newyork in winter but it had gone in 2 days, this time it has taken 6 days already. I do have few antibiotics like Roxid with me not sure what could really help. thanks
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hemoptysis needs to be evaluated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your repeated episode of hemoptysis needs to be evaluated.

2. Considering the blood in sputum happens in winter, Chronic bronchitis needs to be ruled out. Did you ever smoke? Do you have allergic symptoms? wheezing episodes? Breathlessness? Any history of recent dust exposure?Any past history of TB?

3. Detailed evaluation with a pulmonologist is indicated. Investigations required will be Xrya chest, PFT *after control of hemoptysis) and if necessary CT scan thorax may be advised.

4. Currently a course of antibiotic in consultation with your Doctor is recommended. Cp. Augmentin Duo (Amoxicillin clavulinic acid) 625 mg thrice a day for 7 days may be taken in consultation with your physician. For the blood in sputum Tb. etosys 500 mg thrice a day and syrup linctus codein 1 tsf thrice a day may be taken in consultation with your doctor. Thus you need to get evaluated from a Pulmonologist as early as possible.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Noticed blood in phlegm. Had taken antibiotics like Roxid. Suggest? 43 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

I visited an MD here in Canada today for checkup and he has suggested a few things, it would be great if you could provide your opinion on same, first I want answer you questions as mentioned in point 2 above :

I don't smoke, I am little allergic to pollen and dust and I get runny nose sometimes in a year, no past history of TB or breathlessness.

The doctor I visited today has written an antibiotic and several tests (including chest xray and blood and sputum test etc.

The antibiotic he has prescribed is the Biaxin 500 for 14 days, he said it seems more like a sinus infection, but it would be good to have xray and get checked for TB so lot os tests. he has also prescribed a nasal spray.

Could you please provide your opinion as the antibiotic you have suggested is different from what is prescribed (Biaxin) by a doctor here and if you see any urgent need to medical test or I should take antibiotic and wait for few days.

thanks for your time.

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to go ahead eith evaluation and treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.

1. You seem to be having seasonal allergic rhinitis which may be related with your chest symptoms.

2. Considering your location in Canada, (Biaxin -clarithromycin 500 mg twice a day for 14 days) the antibiotic choice of your physician is very acceptable alternative. Consultation with your physician befare starting any medications is important and hence it is always advised to start medications "in consultation with your physician."

3. Nasal spray will help relieve congestion in cases of allergic rhinitis.

4. Regarding the medical tests, its always better to do them at the start of the treatment to get the true picture of the disease affection and its cause and also they provode for a baseline evaluation against which all future reports can be compared and monitored. Please do not wait.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist