Noticed blood filled blisters on toe and toenails coming away from nail bed. Sign of infection?

After a great deal of walking I had blisters which bled and popped which I taped and sterilized them. My big toe became active like a big ball of fire and the two other toe ends, but only at night. When re-taping later I found that my toe nails were rock hard and dark yellow in colour and I couldn't trim them with scissors. The three toe nails have moved away from the skin and almost formed a 'V'. A month later a light pink colour is coming through at the base of the nail. The nails are still rock hard.
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From the description it seems that there is a fungal infection involving your toes. A direct examination of the area is an integral part of diagnosis.
Usually such infections need a thorough cleaning and debridement using hydrogen peroxide under the guidance of your dermatologist. Oral antibiotics and anti fungal agents are necessary to control the infection. You can get these prescribed from your dermatologist after an examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.