Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed blood after urination. Itching in vagina and having lichens sclerosus. Taking treatment. Advise?

Thank you. Over the last 10 days or so I have noticed (once) a tiny spot of bright red blood, and 2-3 times a light pinkish blood after I urinate and wipe. I also feel a slight irritation that I thought was maybe just outside my vagina, but can't see anything. I also have lichens sclerosus, but it's being treated successfully

Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
UTI vs atrophic vulvovaginitis

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. In a postmenopausal woman like yourself, the most likely causes of discrete hematuria after urinating and wiping are a due to menopause; a urinalysis can rule out infection, and inspection of your pelvic area by a provider can determine if you have atrophy of the vaginal canal/vulva/etc and if so, topical estrogen creams brings excellent results, and delivers the estrogen only where needed, with no systemic side effects, since I notice your breast cancer History.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN