Noticed bleeding after having oral sex. Underlying cause?

Mar 2013
I have noticed the last two times of having oral sex, I bleed. It is not a lot, but enough to notice.
I am under doctors care and will go to my cardiologist in March. I have had 2 strokes and currently have a pacemaker. I am not overweight. In 1981 I had a hysterectomy, (had 2 fibroid tumors, but still have my ovaries. I am not a sickly person and function like an above average woman for age and health. Sex only happens about one or twice every 4 to 6 months.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thank you for your query.
The main reason I can think of, for the kind of bleeding you describe, is atrophic vulvitis or atrophic vaginitis.
It is a condition where the local vaginal tissues and lining become extremely thin and friable due to lack of enough oestrogen, and break down easily under trauma.
Since you are 73, your ovaries, even if intact, would have stopped functioning by now, hence the resultant hormonal changes would lead to atrophic vaginitis.
The treatment is a good lubricant during intercourse, and a hormonally medicated cream such as Evalon, to be used sparingly twice a day locally.
Please use this only after consulting your doctor, since you are having other co morbid conditions also, and HRT ( hormone replacement therapy ) is to be used only after a gynaecologists check up and screening.
Another reason could be your blood thinners, consult with your doctor regarding that on the next visit.
I also recommend a thorough Gynecologist check up at your age to rule out other rarer causes such as any infection, local abrasions, yeast , urethral causes, clitoral lesions etc.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.