Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed black spots on penis and started burning during urination. What's wrong?

Ya all of a sudden one morning I noticed what looked like blackheads on the shaft of my penis. I left them for a day and the next day another one appeared. When I went to squeeze it nothing came out and there was just an open sore left. It also started to burn when I urinated and there where a few bumps on the head right below the uriethra. I've had the same girlfriend for 3 years and gave only had sex with her. What's wrong with me???
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 9 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Spots on the penis shaft are very common and most do not have a serious cause. However, occasionally spots can indicate a significant health problem. So, it's important to seek prompt medical advice. But when they occur with burning urination and bumps, we have to investigate for STD’s. Burning with urination usually is associated with the sexually transmitted germ gonorrhea or chlamydia. These both require immediate treatment with the right antibiotics. A person can have an isolated infection of the throat, vagina/cervix, anus, and penis. One area may be infected, but not the others, or several or all can be infected with one or both of these germs. Treatment is the same. So it is possible that you may have gotten it. Other disease we have to check is urinary track infection which can cause burning maturation but not spotting.

1. Gonorrhea is contagious, from the time someone is infected with the gonorrhea bacterium, that person can spread the disease until properly treated. The bacteria that cause gonorrhea are spread through body fluids. People can infect themselves if they touch an affected area and then rub or scratch their eyes. Gonorrhea can also be spread through kissing if one partner has a cut on the lip, but this way of becoming infected is rare. Sharing towels and sitting on toilet seats that have come in contact with the bacteria do not spread the disease.

2. Chlamydia is spread from person-to-person during unprotected sex. It can be passed through vaginal, anal, and oral sex. It can also be passed to the eye by a hand or other body part moistened with infected secretions. Chlamydia can be passed from a woman infected with chlamydia to her fetus during birth. Chlamydia cannot be spread by kissing, toilet seats, bed linens, doorknobs, swimming pools, hot tubs, bathtubs, sharing clothes, or eating utensils.

The dark spots on the skin of shaft are may be due to variations in the skin color, caused by an increased number of melanocyts (pigment cells). Sometimes a mild skin irritation when healed causes these types of dark spots. Melanoma of the penile skin is extraordinarily rare. It may or may not related to the infection of the part. But as you have squeeze the spot you surely needs a antibiotic course to protect from infection if not occurred.

In my opinion you must see your physician and get clinically examined and get a proper antibiotic depending upon the cause of the disease. We can not ignore both spots and burning sensation with bumps occurring together.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer your follow up query if any.
Best Wishes a have a speedy recovery.
Dr. Kulbir Singh