Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed black spot on the roof of baby's mouth. What is causing this?

Pediatrician
Question
What causes a black spot on the roof of a baby's mouth?
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 30 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I appreciate your concern. I shall appreciate if you can upload a photograph of the spot that you are mentioning using the facility on this site as it shall help me in guiding you.

Usually white, glistening pearls are seen on the palate of newborns. These are known as Ebstein's pearls and nothing has to be done for them.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications or have any other fact to share.

RKK

Follow-up: Noticed black spot on the roof of baby's mouth. What is causing this? 1 hour later
thank you for that bit of information, i do understand what you are saying but that is not what i was referring too, my son is now 19 months old and has a lot of his teeth already, it seems to be closer to the middle of the roof of his mouth and it is about the size of a small pea, brownie/ black in colour

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 12 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

I do appreciate your dilemma but I would be able to guide you once I see a photograph of the same which you can upload using the facility provided on this site. I do not want to hazard a guess without looking at it.

RKK