Noticed black specks in stool. What could be this?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

I am just wandering, recently, once or twice i have noticed my stool contains little pepper like black specs on it and on the toilet paper when i wipe. The stool itself is normal and i have no other symptoms. I am just worried that i keep seeing things that say black specs or coffee grounds can be a sign of bleeding?
What could these things be, the stool itself is a normal brown colour but it's like someone has sprinkled ground pepper all over it?
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

The information you have provided is suggestive of mainly two issues :

1] Either it is undigested food material and/or
2] It could be blood from the upper GI track which changes to black color by the time it reaches the colon

If you have symptoms of gastritis and/or if you are a smoker and/or if you consume alcohol the chances of second option are more

Just to rule out any untoward issues it would be better if you go for a stool test

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life ahead