Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed black colouration on the penis tip. Am not circumcised. What is this?

hi i am not circumsized but can pull my foreskin back. i have recently found near the tip of the head of my penis where urine comes out from it is going slightly bluey/black. it also stings at times. what is the cause and how can i sort this out. i am 22 and obvisoly would be embarassed to see my local GP.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 5 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A discolouration and discomfort at the tip of the penis could be due to a few possibilities:
- A recent infection (such as a fungal infection) which is resolving. This could have resulted in scarring and hypersensitivity.
- An inadvertent trauma to that area, for example due to rough masturbation or sexual intercourse or even tight clothing.
- Vitamin deficiencies, e.g. B12 deficiency.

I would suggest the following remedial measures:
- Wash the area (with the foreskin retracted) three to four times daily with diluted betadine solution or diluted potassium permanganate solution (potassium permanganate crystals or solution should be available with your local chemist)

- After washing and patting dry with a clean cloth, apply a thin layer of an anti-fungal cream like miconazole (Micoderm) or clotrimazole (Candid), twice a day over the affected areas.

- Keep the surrounding areas clean, sweat-free and dry.

- Avoid using any strongly perfumed soap or shower gels.

- Avoid wearing tight clothing and wear loose cotton underwear

If the symptoms are persistent or worsening despite trying these measures, then I would suggest that you I would advise you to have a physical examination and a few tests like a urine test, certain basic blood tests. etc. so that the cause for your symptoms can be correctly identified.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist