Noticed big glob discharge after colonoscopy and passing mucus in stool. Is this normal?

General Surgeon
During the end of my colon prep before my Colonoscopy, I noticed that I passed some mucus. Anyway, today I did my colonoscopy and realized about 3 hours later the urgency to use the bathroom. When I went I noticed a big glob of... something? I can't honestly say for sure it was mucus but, what else could it be? It was tinge by little blood. I came home and had the same urgency to use the bathroom, of course it was gassy as well but, I am passing little mucus. Is this normal?? My colonoscopy showed no abnormalities, what they found are external and XXXXXXX hemorrhoids.
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

First of all you need to know that whole intestines are coated with mucosa. This mucosa is build of mucus secreting cells. So the intestines do secrete mucus all the time. And this is quite normal that there are small amounts of mucus in the stool. As for colonoscopy preparation you do drink some medicines which is increasing bowel movements you have excreted all stool. So now in the intestines there is only mucus. That is why you do see only it. Moreover, if the colonoscopy showed no abnormalities, there is nothing to worry about.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.