Noticed ants around urine. Does this mean I have diabetes?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I FOUND ANTS AFTER MY GIRL URINATE AND WASH THAT PLACE.NEITHER ME NOR MY HUSBAND ARE DIABETIC.WHAT DOES THAT INDICATE THEN?MY MOTHER IS ON SUGAR TABLET BUT THAT ALSO AFTER 50 YRS OF AGE.
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 46 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Presence of sugar in urine may attract ants but ants near urine doesn't always mean presence of diabetes.
There are two types of Diabetes Mellitus: Type I & Type II
Type I is generally diagnosed before 30 years with no significant family history (as you have).
Type II is generally diagnosed after 30 years with positive family history.

Type I diabetes may start at any age and depends on the destruction of beta cells in pancreas (an endocrinal and exocrinal organ which synthesize insulin).
This destruction is autoimmune in nature.

You can bring urine strips for checking sugar at home and you can check presence / absence of sugar by dipping these strips in urine on preliminary basis.
You should also go blood sugar level both fasting & postprandial and HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin; tells blood sugar level of last 3 months)of your daughter.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava