Noticed a small brown mole on toe. Is it melanoma?

About a week ago I noticed a small (about 2mm) brown mole on the bottom, underside of my second toe. Don't know if it is new or not. Uniform in color, perfectly round. Concerned about melanoma.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
A small brown mole that has appeared recently does provoke anxiety. The majority of moles and other unclassifiable blemishes are benign, or non-cancerous.
Moles that warrant medical attention are those that appear to have changing characteristics, such as changing colors, bleeding, itching, or becoming painful.
You only need to self monitor these lesions for any change in shape, size, color, irregular margins, ulceration, pain, etc. If any of these changes do appear it means they need to be investigated and then removed under the guidance of your dermatologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.