Noticed a large tennis ball size painless lump on upper back. Smoker. Should I be worried?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi Dr. Grief I am a male smoker 51 years of age and noticed a large tennis ball size lump on my upper back, the left side, there is no pain but hard to the touch. should I worry about this
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
I dont think this is related to your smoking. It sounds like benign subcutaneous lesion and in this area most commonly are found lipomas, atheromas and fibromas. It can cause problems if become inflammated and infected. It can be easily surgically removed under local anasthesia now or you can wait and see will it cause any symptoms. If you want to be sure about the diagnosis ultrasound with needle biopsy can be performed.
Possibility of malignancy is minor if there is no pain, bleeding or secretion from it so there is no need to be concerned.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help