Not getting erection after surgery. Is this permanent or will it be cured?

Hi i has colon resection last feb 28 after surgery i dont have erection anymore . Is this permanent or there is a drug to cure this ? Thanks
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Some patients undergoing colon surgery experience sexual problems after the operation. Usually it will be temporary problem and resolves with time. Psychological distress can contribute to postoperative sexual dysfunction, especially among patients who require a colostomy.

Counseling for you and your partners may help dispel distress and aid couples in overcoming physical and psychological barriers to satisfying sexual expression.

In case if the counseling does not help, oral medication or other erectile aids may have to be considered to help alleviate the problem.

As it is nearly 6 month since you are facing the problem i advice you to see physician for thorough examination and for counseling and after examination he can find the cause and address it.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Not getting erection after surgery. Is this permanent or will it be cured? 14 hours later
My doctor prescribed me cialis but the pill doesnt work for me , is there any other drug that will help ? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 8 hours later
Good to hear from you.

Erectile problem may be due to psychological problem and seen in most men following major surgery i advice you for counselling.

There are other drugs available but are all prescription based drugs so i advice you to speak with the consulting physician. Apart from oral therapy, there are drugs that can be directly injected into penis and vacuum devices, these can be considered when the oral treatment is not working.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.