Not gaining weight. Started on solids. What to do?

Feb 2013

My son's birthweight is 2.6 kg. he went upto 5.75 within his first 3months. He was breastfed till his 7th month. started on solids in his 6th month (cerelac rice). He is 10months old now and is still 6.75kg. Why is he not gaining weight as he gained in his first few months. He is active and eats well. Hits all his milestones. Otherwise healthy baby.

My only concern is his weight. How to increase it?
His diet is as follows:
-> 5-6 times milk 3oz a time.
-> One fruit ( mango or banana or apple) in the evening
-> rice with dal and curd (complete meal) - twice a day
-> breakfast - idli/dosa/oatmeal
-> once in a while - biscuits (parle-g or cream biscuits or threptin)

Please suggest remdies to increase his weight or if he is finw with the current weight.

Thanks and regards,
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The growth rate in first 3 months of life is high.

The weight gain is 25 to 30 grams per day during the first 3 months of life.

So your child with the birth weight of 2.6 kg gained 5.75 kg by 3rd month.

Birth weigh usually doubles by 4 months and trebles by 1 year.

Thereafter the weight gain slows like this: from 3 to 6 months 20 grams per day, from 6 to 9 months 15 grams per day, and from 9 to 12 months 12 grams per day.

As per his birth weight he may reach 7.5 to 8 kg.

This may be the reason for less gain in weight in your child at present.

If the child is normal, active, and healthy nothing to worry about the present weight and he will reach his targeted weight as per his birth weight.

At present his weight is lower side on growth chart, but present weight depends on the birth weight also.

You can continue the present diet except threptin biscuits. Threptin biscuits are usually indicated in children above the age of 2 years.

You can his diet more calorie dense by adding ghee or edible oil to his feeds.

You can add jaggery or sugar to his feeds to make them more calorie dense and for weight gain.

Continue breastfeeding till the age of 2 years or at least till the age of 1 year.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.