Not able to see in dark and have slightly yellow eye. What is the problem?

my wife and I have recently returned from tenerife and her eyes now cannot see in the dark, they are slightly yellow can you explain the problem
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

You haven't mentioned whether or not she has any co-morbidity like hypertension or diabetes. Those can also cause night blindness. However sudden night blindness is often caused by the deficiency of vitamin A which is responsible for the formation of rhodopsin. The defect can be corrected by proper dietary supplements of vitamin A.

I suggest her to visit a competent ophthalmologist for clinical examination.

Yellowish discoloration of sclera might be an indication of jaundice. It entails a liver check - liver function tests and ultrasound scan of the abdomen if the discoloration is significant.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other enquiries.