Nose tip swollen, painful and red. nose sores. Can you prescribe Keflex?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My nose tip is swollen and painful and red.I have sores in my nose one side(right side is more sore at tip) I am a 60 year old woman in good health,a retired RN, and this worries me!Can you prescribe keflex 500mg to me?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

As you are aware, swollen, painful and red nose tip can be as a result of bacterial infection (staphylococcus, streptococcus,) or a pointer to other disorders like rosacea or skin cancer.

Keflex 500 is an antibiotic cephalexin usually prescribed for ear nose throat infections. But it does have common sideeffects like diarrhoea, nausea, allergy or anaphylactic reactions or seizures, renal toxicity etc.

It is a prescription only medication and its unethical for any doctor to prescribe it without confirmation of diagnosis through detailed clinical examination and investigation of patient.

Hence I would advise you consult your physician for confirmation of diagnosis and starting
apropriate treatment.

Also I would advise you to opt for local antibiotic ointments like Metronidazole or Mupirocin and watch for response before going for oral medications.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Nose tip swollen, painful and red. nose sores. Can you prescribe Keflex? 10 hours later
The problem is I am is another state now visiting.I called around to different Dr and they are priced too high for me. My insurance does not cover me in MA. and I am in pain and will not be going home for three weeks. I know it is an infection(it is warm to the touch, painful)I know the Keflex is what I need. Can tou please precribe them to me. I need Keflex 500 mg two a day for ten days. I have tried the local medication for weeks.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Your description suggests that you have developed right sided nasal vestibulitis.

2. The area comprising the lower half of the nose and upper lip is also known as the 'dangerous area of the face' as the venous blood drains into the opthalmic veins and into the brain. This is unlike the rest of the face which drain directly down into the heart.

3. Hence, at your age, I will recommend that you seek immediate medical attention rather than trying self medication, even if this means returning back home where you have insurance coverage.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.