Normal Echo and EKG. Pain in arm, neck pain, chest discomfort. Scared about heart attack

Had an echo and ekg both were normal and my cardiologist says I'm fine no abnormalities my question is I'm 28 smoker with shotting pains down my left arm and neck pain sometimes chest scared I'm going to have a heart attack
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
If your EKG and ECHO are normal, I dont think we need to be worried about a heart attack. The pain can be due to an issue with the cervical spine, musculoskeletal pain or even acid reflux.
I think a Xray of the cervical spine and some hot fomentation and topical diclofenac gel should do you a lot of good. Also, maintaining a proper posture and using a hard pillow would be required. Anxiety itself can make the pain worse. So see a physician and
stop worrying about the heart attack. Cutting down on the smoking, a healthy lifestyle and some exercise will also hold you in good stead.
If you still have apprehension, you can consider a CT Angiogram which will tell you the actual state of your blood vessels.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: Normal Echo and EKG. Pain in arm, neck pain, chest discomfort. Scared about heart attack 8 hours later
Thank you. Just one more question
The echo they did was a Doppler echo and the cardiologist said that can tell blood flow which can detect any there a good chance there is no blockages if that wa normal? I also take effexor for anxiety which he told me could be the culprit for all this?
Yes, there is a fairly good chance of you having no blockage if the doppler echo was normal. The anxiety itself can cause shooting pain. Here, regular exercise, yoga and XXXXXXX breathing would definitely help.

I hope I addressed your concerns. If you have no more questions, please close this discussion.