Ask a Urologist   »  

Non-stop urination, post robotic surgery. Bladder control methods?

i had my robotic surgery 9/13 and all went well. my catheter came out Tuesday, 9/20. I was not prepared for the non-stop ''leaking''. can anyone tell me what to expect as far as bladder control and the slowing done of the drainage? I understand everyone is different but and idea may ease my frustration. i'm 170lbs, 5'9'' and in good overall health

Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

Incontinence of urine is common complication of Robotic radical prostatectomy. You should see a physiotherapist to learn exercises and thus improve your continence.

In addition, you shall have to wait and let it improve by itself. However, till that time you have to be on diapers.

Continence results post radical prostatectomy are evaluated at one year time post operatively.

I hope my suggestions are helpful to you. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.