Nodule found in thyroid. Hemithyroidectomy done. Having heart flutters and skipped pulses. Worrisome

Jan 2013

Hi, I'm 51 female 5"2, 145lbs. I was very active (military) until 2 month ago when a nodule was found in my thryroid. Had a hemithyroidectomy 6 weeks ago and feel like a milion dollar, not taking any hormones and doing well, however, this week i started to have heart flutters and skipped pulses, totally different to my hyperthyroid nodule events, and they only occur when I'm sitting down, especially when I lean forward. They go away as soon as I getup, and soon after I lay down. they only occur sporadically when laying down, but are non stop when sitting. I'm also feeling a little "sort of crowded" since this started. Thanks
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 hours later
As you have hyperthyroid nodule and you have already undergone hemithyroidectomy, still there is possibility of hyperthyroid nodule persisting in your remaining thyroid nodule.
Excessive release of thyroid hormone may cause palpitation.
Another possibility of heart problems itself. Heart disease may be arrhythmias, thrombus formation in right/ left atrium and causing ball valve mechanism.
You should go for repeat thyroid profile test, ECG & 2 D echo and serum sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium.
You should also consult with physician/ cardiologist/ endocrinologist.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Nodule found in thyroid. Hemithyroidectomy done. Having heart flutters and skipped pulses. Worrisome 20 hours later
Thank you, I'll recheck the remaining thryroid just in case, although it was clear and looked very good according to the surgeon. Had my heart checked during my hyperthyroid phase and all was well. I'm concerned with this skipped beats brewing up a stroke down the road.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
You should go for ECG and 2 D Echo. There are few medication available which can control your skipped beat problem.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava