No improvement after taking lexapro. Should I stop talking it?

Dec 2012

I have been on lexapro for at least 10 years .I dont think it is helping me.Should i keep taking it.My dr wants me to stay on it
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 47 minutes later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I strongly believe that your doctors are better placed to evaluate if treatment is working as they will evaluate from the start of treatment till present. Lexapro is used to treat measure depressive syndrome and anxiety and you would not be able to tell if the treatment is effective or not except you are being told by some other person.
In the other hand, if you have been on the same treatment for years, it is possible that your system has developed resistance against the drug and it is no longer responding to the usual dose. So the dose might need to be stepped up a little if you still present with a psychological disorder such as depression or anxiety or the treatment changed completely.
Your doctor is better placed to decide on this issue. I suggest you revisit your doctor and present the problem to him or you consult with another doctor/psychiatrist (for as a patient you have the free will to choose who your doctor can be and would be).
Meanwhile try relaxing and always keep a positive mine about your state. Meditation can be a useful exercise in times of stress.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah