No history of injury or trauma. What causes redness and swelling of the upper portion of ear helix?

what causes redness and swelling of the upper portion of the ear helix? She catches for softball but no history of injury or specific trauma
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 51 minutes later

Hello and thanks for the query.
 It can  be a swollen lymph node or some local collection of pus.I hope no ear piercing has been done as ear piercing is very common to cause such types of swelling.   
Treatment shall require oral antibiotics or drainage if swelling is large enough.
For pain anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen 400 mg three times may be used.

Since it requires visual inspection,I advise you to consult your doctor.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else.
Best of luck.