Newborn passing stool frequently. On breast feeding. Stool is watery. What could be done?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My baby is 24 days old.Her birth weight is 2.7kg. On 13th day i have taken her to a routine check and her weaight was 3.5 kg. She is on breast feeding. She passes stools 8 to 10 times a day from the first day onwards and it is very watery.
Please suggest me what could be done since she is too young for to start for antibiotics.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
this is normal

Detailed Answer:

The babies on pure breast feeds will pass stools many times per day - the appearance is described like scrambled egg!

In fact the child will pass stool as soon as you put the baby on your breast.

This is a normal reflex and there is nothing to worry

There is no question of giving antibiotics ESP since you say that this is happening from birth.

The baby seems to be gaining weight well .

This is again a good sign that the stools are normal and baby is getting adequate milk.

So please do not worry.

Continue breast feeds.

Be careful to wash yourself nicely before feeds.

Good luck

God bless

Dr Uma
Follow-up: Newborn passing stool frequently. On breast feeding. Stool is watery. What could be done? 14 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your reply.

I have one more query to get answered. Baby is getting red coloured dots or spots on ber body. First they appeared on cheeks. Spot will be like dark pink on first day and will turn to normal skin color to next day. Its appearing from past 5 days. Now it has spread to hands and legs. These dark spots wont stand more than a day and appear newer ones on next day.

Is this some kind of allerrgy or should i get her bath with dettol soap or dettol liquid mixed with water since babies skin is too sensitive iam giving her bath with baby soap and applying baby oil before bath and applying baby cream and powder after bath and all are gohnsons's products.

Please suggest me.

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not use dettol

Detailed Answer:

Regular bath, daily bath, and soap are OK.

Do not use dettol soap or liquid.

It is a regular rash, there is a condition called milia which is transient and harmless

There are other reasons also.

If by one more week they appear again then go to the doctor and show.

Now wait and watch

Good luck

Dr Uma