Newborn having a lump on the neck. Causes?

hi i have a 8 days old daughter and just noticed lump on her left side neck half way between his ear and his chin.
what else could cause the neck swelling

Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A lump on the side of the neck of an 8day old baby can be a congenital cyst.
There are many other possibilities also like lipoma, swollen neck glands, etc but these can only be ruled out after proper physical examination.
So I suggest you please visit your pediatrician, who after examining your daughter will direct you further regarding the investigations and appropriate referrals as required.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.