New born had swallowed some amniotic fluid. Small reddish patch on elbow joint. Suggest the treatment

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Dear Doctors,

My second son has just turned one. When he was born it was by Caesarean section and the Hospital said he swallowed some amniotic fluid when being turned as had the umbilical cord around his neck. He is a healthy one year old now but I want to know if this is something that could have been avoided - he spent 4 or 5 days in ICU before we could take him home.

Also, one other quick question: he has a small reddish dermatological patch in the crease of his elbow joint on one arm. He did have a lesser patch on the other arm but that has now gone. Should we just let this go, hopefully, over time or take him to the Doctor. I don't want him having steroid treatment at his age? Regards Tim Whiteley
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be a hmangioma

Detailed Answer:

This does happen sometimes when the child makes a respiratory effort before the head coming out completerly.

Also remember the baby's lungs are filled with fluid inside the uterus and only with the first few breaths the lungs get aerated completely.

Sometimes there is delayed clearing of this fluid called transitional tachypnea of new born which needs observation for 2-3 days.

Reg the reddish patch was it a hemangioma?

Hemangiomas have a tendency to regress by 12- 18 months usually.

Anyway get an opinion by a pediatrician.

Good luck

God bless

Dr uma