New born child is allowed to cry to sleep. Developing hoarse voice. Concern about vocal cord damage?

I am a proud grandfather of a 7 month old baby. My daughter, who is an emergency room nurse, states that the baby should be placed in the crib and allow to cry herself to sleep. This is to break the habit of keeping her in your arms before she goes to sleep.I raised my daughter and son and never allowed them to cry for more than 5 minutes in the crib before myself or wife would pick them up. they both turned out fairly normal and successful with good educations and jobs. I am worried because my granddaughter is developing a hoarse voice from the crying.I am concerned about permanent damage to her voice and delicate vocal cords. This is our only grandchild. what is your advice? by the way we are the sole caregivers so my daughter and son-in-law can go to work. we love doing it,but we do not want to overstep our bounds. I am very concerned about my granddaughter losing her voice.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My advice is carry baby in your arms

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

I have heard similar questions from different parents but my advice is always take care of your babies, I would encourage you to carry the baby in your arms. Based on my experience babies who are cared for, carried most of time tend to be less sickly.

There is a lot of research being done about babies and new ideas have come up but I still believe in traditional up bringing and this is backed by what I see from my clients who follow my advice.

Hope I answered your question , will be happy to help you if you have more questions.

Follow-up: New born child is allowed to cry to sleep. Developing hoarse voice. Concern about vocal cord damage? 15 hours later
thank you doctor for your valuable advice, but I am concerned about permanent damage to her vocal cords or voice?? Could you or one of your colleagues discuss that point please. Thanks again - proud and loving grandparent.
Answered by Dr. David Okia 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Over crying can damage

Detailed Answer:
thank you follow up question.
Yes Over crying can damage vocal cord by causing irritation and formation of nodules and this will later affect voice, however babies are adapted to normal or short periods of crying. Hope I answered your question.