Never had any type of seizures. Why am I prescribed with neurontin and levetiracetam?

Hi I recently went to a new doctor and He put me on neurontin 300mg and also levetiracetam 250 mg, Now mind you I have never had any type of seizures in my life and I'm no kid well maybe , I'm 65. I tried these pills and ever since I did I am so down and depresses with them. My questiuon is was it wise for these to be perscribed for me and is the fee i just paid for a 1 time payment
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: They are not just used for seizures Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic As you stated these medications are used in persons with a history of seizures but they are also used for other reasons as well. Most anti seizure/ anticonvulsant medications are also used to effectively treat chronic pain or any neuralgia. Neuralgia is pain that occurs due to abnormal function or structure of a nerve. It can be burning, stabbing, piercing, tingling for example. If you have a history of either chronic pain or neuralgia , then this is likely the reason that the medication was given. There are many medications that though they were primarily developed for one reason , have been found to be very effective for other conditions. Antidepressants, for example are not just used for depression, they are also used for chronic pain or neuralgia. If this particular type of pain medication is not working for you , then your doctor can change to another type or alter the dose. You should consider speaking to him about your concerns. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions