Need to lose weight, reduced drinking . Safe to take oxyElite Pro ?

I am 5'5" 60 year old male, now weighing 200 pounds after gaining 50+ pounds over that last year. I have returned to the gym and now controlling food intake. My goal is to return to less than 150 pounds. Also reduced my daily drinking from 7-8 drinks a day to 2-3. Is it safe from me to ttake OxyElite Pro?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 20 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

I understand you need help on OxyElite Pro with your weight loss. Oxyelite Pro is a food supplement, that is available over the counter without a doctor's prescription. Now, these kind of things do not have large scale human studies like medicines that would would give you a fair idea of its authenticity.

I realize it has caffeine in it. Now, that is addictive and has effects on the brain, unlike a cup of coffee. Rest of the contents in the supplement could be plants. But success would purely be on the basis of individual experiences.

Your present BMI is 33.3 which means you are definitely obese.

My advice to you for now:
1. I do not recommend any food supplements, for weight loss. Because of many reasons - long term effects unknown, side effects, claims rebuff, marketing gimmicks, poor medical standardized studies, even a bariatric specialist doctor will never vouch for its success.
2. I refer my patients to a qualified clinical dietician.
3. You would first need a total health check of lab tests like lipid profile, liver function tests, etc
4. 2-3 drinks of alcohol /day requires further cuts. Ideally come of it totally.
5. Physical exercise by a qualified trainer better than anything for your weight loss.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations or further new queries as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, do not hesitate to reply.