Need opinion regarding child confined to a wheel chair due to raised senseless area in buttocks due to multiple sclerosis

My son is confined to a wheelchair. just under his right buttocks there is a raised area the size of a fifty cent coin. It is soft in the middle and little hard around the area. It is slightly red. He has no feeling in that area due to diease of MS. It has been there about1 week. Before this appeared, and I put some Aloe cream on the area and it went away. Now it has returned and would like your opinion. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Guru 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: May be a Pressure ulcer Detailed Answer: It may be a pressure ulcer which is also called decubitus ulcers or bedsore. These usually occur over a bony prominence due to pressure and friction in persons who are not moving. These are common in in those who are be ridden or wheel chair bound. These ulcers are little easy to treat when detected in early stages but if they get progressed it is very difficult to treat them. I suggest to get the confirmation of diagnosis as early as possible. A physical examination is mandatory to properly diagnose. Meantime, I want to suggest few things to prevent recurrence and progression. Control the moisture levels of the skin surface by maintaining appropriate temperature. Try to redistribute the pressure so that no pressure is applied to this particular raised area. Hope I have answered your query. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!