Need medication for hair fall reduction

Dear Doctor,

I lose 20 strands of hair on a daily basis and 50-60 strands during hair wash. I am currently using Himalayas Shampoo and Coconut Oil ; kindly suggest me some tips or if any medication required to reduce hair fall please.

Thank you in advance,
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 2 hours later

As per studies conducted, losing hair in the range of 100- 150 per day is normal. But as counting hair strands is not possible, hair fall remains subjective condition.

In your case, I would like to know what your exact hemoglobin level is as you have mentioned it as low.
hair loss. If levels are really low then you can start oral iron supplement, continue it for 3 months to raise hemoglobin level.

I would like to ask you if you are on weight loss program or under stress. Dramatic weight loss leads to sudden nutritional deficiency and hair fall follows soon.
At the same time stress cause hormonal changes leading to hair fall.

As you are 26 year old female, make sure you are not having thyroid problem, poly-cystic ovary syndrome or auto immune disorders.

Get thyroid hormones test and ultrasound pelvis-abdomen to rule out thyroid problems and poly-cystic ovary disease respectively.

Are you taking oral contraceptives? If those are high in progestins, it can cause hairfall. Certain drugs can also cause hair loss like blood thinners/seizure drugs. As you have not mentioned any drug history I consider you are not taking any drug currently.

You should stick to one shampoo, use conditioner after shampooing. Eggs are better natural conditioner. Do not rub scalp while shampooing.
Do not use dryer on wet hair frequently.
Oil massage for scalp every alternate night is best.
Eat nutritious diet, can take supplements if required.

So rule out any underlying cause for hair fall. Consult dermatologist for same. Once you are sure there is no organic cause for hair loss; treatment options available are-
1] Minoxidil lotion: Minoxidil lotion is applied to the scalp and can stimulate hair regrowth after about 12 weeks. However, it can take up to a year for the medication to take full effect.
2] Immunotherapy with chemical solution called diphencyprone (DPCP): It is applied to a small area of bald skin, repeated every week, using a stronger dose of DPCP each time. It causes an allergic reaction and the skin will develop mild eczema (dermatitis). In many cases, a person’s hair will start to regrow after about 12 weeks.
3] Ultraviolet light treatment: The skin is exposed to ultraviolet (UVA or UVB) rays. It takes year to show effect.

Finally your treating dermatologist will recommend best suited treatment for you.

I hope I have answered your query, in case of doubts I will be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.