Need information on medications used in doctor assisted suicide

I would like to know how a person who is in the hospital in the Netherlands would be able to have doctor assisted suicide.What medications would the doctors utilize to assist in putting the person to sleep and in what order so the person would feel no pain and die knowing no pain.
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
 Euthanasia has been practiced in Netherlands  for some time, although its legal status was ambiguous.

In 1984 the Dutch Supreme Court ruled voluntary euthanasia was acceptable, provided doctors followed strict guidelines. But, under Dutch criminal law, physicians could still face prosecution.

In the fall 2000, the Dutch parliament voted to formally legalize the practice, making the Netherlands the first nation in the world to do so.
 Death by lethal injection uses sodium phenobarbital followed by an intracardiac injection of concentrated potassium chloride. Phenobarbital is a powerful sedative which will eventually stop the breathing reflex in high doses. Death is by suffocation. Potassium chloride paralyzes the muscles in the heart and death is by cardiac arrest.
Rest of the information and details can be procured from the doctor in the hospital,who is ultimately going to administer active and voluntary euthanasia.
I hope to have answered your query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Need information on medications used in doctor assisted suicide 46 hours later
My doctor said I should not take ativan with beer. How many ativan would cause death if taken with beer, considering that he says that is what would happen and I have only taken it perhaps one or two with a single beer at any given time.
Follow-up: Need information on medications used in doctor assisted suicide 1 minute later
Is the process in the Netherlands a painful process or would the patient be asleep so by the time the heart stops pumping and the muscles are not longer functioning properly and the suffocation occurs would the process be painful? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Please avoid taking Ativan with alcohol.
Euthanasia is generally a painless process,wherever it is undertaken.