Need help in blood pressure reading

i am a 48 year old male, 5'6", 160 lbs., run for 30 minuntes daily and am in good health.

when taking my blood pressure the top number on my first reading (after two minutes of sitting) will occaisionally reach 140-142, then after another minute or two it goes down to 115-125. my lower number is always in the 70's. is this good blood pressure?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 47 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all let me tell you the International Consensus Definition of Hypertension.

Normal Blood Pressure for all ages and sex is
Upper Reading < 130
Lower Reading < 80

This is in a state of physical and Mental Calmness with atleast 5 minutes of rest

Borderline BP:
Upper Reading: 130 - 140
Lower Reading: 80 - 90

Upper Reading: > 140 or Lower Reading > 90

Now, your BP most of the times is < 130 and < 80 which is normal. Some times when we do any kind of activity, the upper reading can increase and is a normal phenomenon. It comes back to normal after resting for few minutes. This is exactly the case with you.

So, be reassured. You have a normal BP and keep maintaining your health.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back to me if you have any more queries.