Need advice on feeding schedule of six month old baby

Hi Dr, I have a query about the feeding schedule of my baby. It would be really great if u can suggest me with the details as to what to feed him according to time and how many times should he be fed. he is 6 months old and we have already started off with the solid food when he was 4 months old.
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

As you should know breast feeding is best for baby till 1 year of age along with other foods that you give. Ideally babies should be exclusively breastfeed till 6 months of age.

In general:
>You can feed the baby on demand. Ideally it depends upon on routine and his demands.
>Ideally you should give total 4-5 feeds along with breast milk at least couple of times in a day.
>There are no set ground rules of what to give and when to give. Every baby is different.
>Do not force the baby to eat.
>As you have already introduced solids you should build its quantity and frequency. You can give routine home made semi solids.
>Good solids can be single foods such as mashed banana or avocado, or cooked and pureed XXXXXXX pear, pumpkin or potato.
>Once this becomes a routine you can add more fruits and other solids.
>Ideally home made food is best for your baby.

Please note that mother is the best person who understands baby and his needs. You are the best person to judge his needs and you can modify the diet as per need.

You can assess his growth periodically and make modifications in his diet.

I hope this helps.

Wishing him good health and happy parenting to you.

Follow-up: Need advice on feeding schedule of six month old baby 32 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor the reply was informative but when you say 4 to 5 feeds what is the time interval that should be between each feed. We are first time parents and very confused about the feeding patterns. Boy is not putting up weight as expected. And also can u please suggest the quality that we need to feed( 120 or more than that for a 6 months bab)sorry it was "quantity" -> 120grams
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

The interval should be about 3-4 hours. The sign that he is satisfied is: He goes to sleep for some time feeds and does not demand very frequently at about 1-2 hours.

Means the interval is flexible. Again same is with quantity. Which satisfies him is good for him.

120ml is fine, he feels satisfied after it.

With time you will have estimate how much he wants.If he wants more he will definitely someway or other will show that he is hungry for more.

The ideal weight for a 6 month old boy is about 6-8 kg.He grows at about 300gm to 400gms/month.

Please do not worry.