Neck pain problem, including shoulder. Taking physiotherapist treatment? Suggest complete treatment

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having neck pain problem.
Pain from neck to shoulder.
More on right side than left side.
Getting relief (sound is coming from neck when doing this kind of exercise) when turning neck right-left and vice versa.
Taken physiotherapist treatment.
Now using one machine of physiotherapist treatment when more pain in neck.
Please, suggest any treatment to remove this neck pain problem completely.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 58 minutes later
Dear guest,
Thanks for posting your question.

The first and foremost thing one should do is diagnose the problem. Neck pain at your age is not an uncommon thing and is mostly experienced by IT and software professionals who due to their long working hours on computers, lack rest and exercise.

The information you gave is not sufficient to reach a diagnosis. But pain radiating from neck to shoulder, more on one side, not associated with stiffness and relieved on side movements suggest mere lack of exercises and early stages of cervical spondylosis.
Till then, I would suggest the following measures:
•     To avoid future complications, start exercising regularly (once the pain has completely gone).
•     Ask your physiotherapist to teach you neck isometric exercises.
•     If you sit in front of a computer for long hours, start taking frequent stretch breaks and adjust screen monitor appropriately.
•     Stop using pillow immediately if you are using one.
•     You also might consider taking cervical traction and SWD at your physiotherapist for 5-7 days without gap.
•     If it hurts a lot, visit an orthopaedician at the earliest and take like X XXXXXXX blood profile).
•     Remember, do not perform neck or shoulder exercises (especially of right side) till the pain has completely subsided.
I hope this answer was informative. If you need more help, I'm available for follow up.
Good day