Neck pain, back pain, leg pain. Worried about paralysis and surgery.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello Doctor,

For last one year My wife was having neck pain and back pain. She was taking some medicine and physiotherapy exercises. Last week since she got leg pain too we went to an ortho specialist. so Doctor advised to go for MRI scan.
So we went shown the report to ortho. We were told to take a medicine for one month and after that we will see for if any surgery required.

She is now age of 31 and her weight is 70 and height is 5.3 feet.

Here I am extracting the problematic portion from her MRI Scan Report and attaching, please go through and advice. She is kind of getting fear about the paralysis as her leg is getting numbness some time. If she takes bedrest for 2 hours she is feeling best. Your answers will be helpful for her.

Also she is getting fear on surgery.

From Report:
L4-5: Decreased hydration and diffuse bulge of the corresponding intervertebral discs with no endplate spondylosis or facet arthrosis. Minimal indentation of central canal, lateral recesses and intervertebral neural foramina with bilateral neural impingement of traversing fibers.

L5-S1: Decreased hydration and diffuse bulge of the corresponding intervertebral discs with no endplate spondylosis or facet arthrosis. Minimal indentation of central canal, lateral recesses and intervertebral neural foramina with bilateral neural impingement of traversing fibers.

IMPRESSION:

DECREASED HYDRATION AND DIFFUSE BULGE OF L4-5 AND L5-S1 INTERVERTEBRAL DISCS WITH NO ENDPLATE SPONDYLOSIS OR FACET ARTHROSIS.
MINIMAL INDENTATION OF CENTRAL CANAL, LATERAL RECESSES AND INTERVERTEBRAL NEURAL FORAMINA WITH BILATERAL NEURAL IMPINGEMENT OF TRAVERSING FIBERS.

Really appreciate your answer.

Thanks XXXXXXX P

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 hours later
The MRI report of your wife is suggestive of minimal nerve root compression due to minor disc prolapse. There is nothing to be worried about. At her age, with proper treatment, rest , physiotherapy and improvised body posture these changes are completely reversible.
It is good that she feels almost normal after taking some rest. She needs to follow her orthopedician's advise regarding the medicines.
Let me reassure you that such minor problems do not need surgery. Regular physiotherapy will take care of her symptoms.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.