Neck and shoulder pain, chest pain, throat pain. Related issues? History of smoking and drinking

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I started with neck pain (both sides) about 2 weeks ago. Two days ago I began with severe shoulder pain. I have also had dull and shooting pains in my chest. I went to my GP and she put me on anti inflammatory and muscle relaxer medications. I am still not feeling well. I used to smoke a lot and drink also. I thought socially but was more this past summer, meaning that i did not take very good care of myself in the past few months. My neck pain is not a pain that is sore to the touch, it feels XXXXXXX almost like my neck is tired. I also get throbbing pain in my throat. I am not sure if the neck and throat are related since the neck started a month prior. What is this?? Can it be my lungs, liver, reflux....? Any ideas? I have also had ear pain occasionally and a feeling of my ears being wet when I wake up in the morning and popping sounds.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 49 minutes later
You are most probably suffering from myalgia ( musculoskeletal pain ) either due to the after effects of alcohol and tobacco consumption or a nutritional deficiency caused by it.
Other possibilities include a viral respiratory infection or a immune related inflammatory disorder ( less likely).
Considering you have no fever , no cough , no breathing difficulty , no rash and no bony pain with swelling or tenderness , these other possibilities seem less likely.
Alcohol is known to cause such myalgia in some people either due to vitamin b deficiency or the direct effect of too much alcohol .
Similarly soreness of throat and oral cavity can also be caused by these.
However earache or discharge is not a symptom of such a condition and it should be evaluated separately by a otolaryngologist ( ENT specialist ) to rule out any middle ear infection.
As of now the treatment with analgesic antiinflammatory seems appropriate .
In addition it's advisable to take multivitamin supplements ( B complex) and vitamin D and calcium supplements to help in faster recovery.
In case after 2 more weeks of such therapy there is no relief then it's advisable to consult a neurologist or pain specialist and also get baseline blood investigations done like complete blood counts , ESR , blood sugar , blood urea , liver profile etc.
Thus the diagnosis can be confirmed and treated appropriately .
Alternatively you may go ahead with investigations and specialist consultation to get your doubts resolved and start appropriate treatment as soon as feasible .
Please do not worry as it is most probably an acute treatable alcohol related problem likely to resolve soon with treatment .

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Neck and shoulder pain, chest pain, throat pain. Related issues? History of smoking and drinking 44 minutes later
My blood pressure is also 146/98.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 15 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
The normal upper limit of blood pressure for your age would be 140/90.
So yes it's a bit on the higher side Which is a common occurrence in abrupt alcohol withdrawl / cessation .
Usually it reverts back to normal within a week . If it persists even after that then a mild anti hypertensive drug might be prescribed by your doctor .
I assume you or your doctor have confirmed this value by measuring at different positions ( sitting / lying down ) and two or three different readings to confirm the high Bp .
If yes , then you should check it daily once to make sure it does not rise further as if the diastolic Bp is consistently more than 100 it can cause cardiovascular sideffects and should be controlled with medications .

If no, then first do rule out any stress induced or anxiety induced high Bp which is transient and soon may come down to lower levels during rest.

Please remember that alcohol and tobacco have many autonomic effects on cardiovascular system and hence blood pressure and kindly refrain from them in future . As of now you may wait and watch for improvement but if anytime the condition worsens , Bp goes higher than 150/100 then consult your doctor or ER promptly .
Hope I have answered your query.