Nearsight +3, Farsight +1.5, watersports prevents contact lens or glass. Solution?

For my near vision I need +3.00 glasses and for my far vision I need +1.5 glasses. Due to my keen involvement in water sport I am not able to ware contact lenses or glasses. I am also always looking for my glasses and due to dropping them outside they are also getting scratched. Basically it has become a totally frustrating problem and I don't know what is the best solution for my problem. Can anybody help me. By the way I am 54 years old.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later

At the age of 54, vision problems are common and with the increasing age the vision will deteriorate further. So the permanent remedies for getting rid of spectacles like Lasik laser therapy will not be helpful in your case. After every 2-3 years you will need spectacles again.
You can use a bifocal spectacle so that you will have to take care of only one pair of specs. A bifocal spectacle has two different powers-up for distance and down for close work. Glasses can also be multimodal. Multimodal glasses are so designed that one single glass has several powers fitted to focus for all distances.
You can try some eye focusing exercises and train your eyes to read without glasses. But how far will they be helpful in your case cant be said for sure.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: Nearsight +3, Farsight +1.5, watersports prevents contact lens or glass. Solution? 54 minutes later
Thanks for your quick reply. But I am tying to get away from wearing glasses or contact lenses and seeing that LASIK is also no the answer what other solutions that are permanent can be performed.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I wish to understand why do you have a farther vision loss? Are you developing a cataract which is common at this age? The other reason for farther vision loss are age related macular degeneration. So checking both the anterior segment and posterior segment of the eye is necessary.

If there is a cause that your ophthalmologist finds during the check, correcting such case with surgical techniques can help you perform water sports without glasses. You will need glasses only when you read short distance. If there is non correctable cause then you are left with no option and to play with glasses only.

The other thing which can help you is to practice eye exercises and to train yourself to read without glasses. How far these exercises will be effective cannot be said with certainty.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Wish you an early recovery.