Nausea, hearing loss, increased heart beat, pellet-like stools, gas, trouble passing stool. What could this be?

I have had this stomach problem for about four days now. I usually eat potatoe bread with the crust dipped in ketchup for breakfeast, with milk. Then i go and lay down before i go to school for about 20 minutes. About a hour after i lay down, while i'm at school, i get these stomach problems. It feels like i'm going to throw up, i start to not hear things, my heart beats some-what fast. It usually goes away since i leave early and go home to drink gingerale. I usually eat four meals a day, breakfeast, lunch, a pre/dinner or second lunch, then dinner. All this week i have had sub's (ham) twice a day. My stools are also pellet like and i have alot of gas and trouble going to the bathroom. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
It seems that you are having gastroesophageal reflux which gets precipitated by lying down immediately after you have your breakfast.
Constipation and gas indigestion are the associated problems.
Acid reflux from the stomach is a major factor involved in causing symptoms of heartburn. It is aggravated by spicy food, oily food, smoking, tobacco of any kind, alcohol, coffee, sliding hernia, etc.

You need to avoid the above mentioned factors at all costs. Also eat small portion meals at frequent intervals rather than large heavy meals. This helps to reduce your nausea as well.

Avoid lying down immediately after a meal, rather lie down flat only after 2 hours. Till then you may lie at a recline at 45 degrees with head-end up. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Keep well hydrated.

You need to get investigated by a thorough evaluation which may also include an endoscopy to see if the food pipe is damaged by stomach acids and also if stomach has any gastritis or ulcer. Also you may get yourself investigated for possible Doctor would prescribe medication to reduce stomach acidity like omeprazole and also medication to allow food and stomach acids to move downwards in your bowel rather than upwards into your food pipe. This will provide a lot of relief.
Taking plenty of fluids orally and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables XXXXXXX in fiber will take care of constipation and indigestion.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Nausea, hearing loss, increased heart beat, pellet-like stools, gas, trouble passing stool. What could this be? 14 hours later
That makes sense, it seems as if my stomach is always churning and i have a lump in my throat. Do you have any reccomendations for the problem of my stool problem? Should i take a stool softner? Also do you have any reccomendations of what to eat for breakfeast, lunch, dinner, etc...and should i avoid ketchup?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
For constipation, you can take plenty of fluids and magnesium supplements. Foods that can act as laxatives: Prunes, figs, Psyllium husk, shredded wheat, flaxseed (oil), Senna, Cascara sagrada, Aloe vera juice, Dandelion root, Molasses, Liquorice, etc.
Taking stool softeners can help you in short term relief.
Avoiding ketchup will be helpful in avoiding gastric acidity.
The best way to control these symptoms would be lifestyle changes with the following tips:
1. Change and develop good dietary habits including eating several small meals daily.
2. Diet should include fresh fruits, fiber XXXXXXX foods. Avoid spicy foods, fats and fried foods. Also avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, colas, and smoking. Avoid processed foods (Junk foods from refined carbohydrates). Eat freshly cooked food from whole grains.
3. Adopt proper posture.
4. Don't eat for at least three hours before you go to bed. If you have symptoms at night, try raising the head of your bed six to ten inches.
5. Maintain adequate hydration.
6. Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.
7. Avoid foods to which you are intolerant.
8. Start walking and reduce stress. You can also practice meditation techniques.
You can get an appropriate diet chart for yourself according to your tastes under the guidance of a dietician.
In addition to dietary and lifestyle changes, you can try the following medications to reduce your symptoms as follows.
1. Antacids (Tums, mylanta) can be taken to relieve the acidity.
2. Proton pump inhibitors such as pantop can be continued for few weeks.
3. Activated charcoal will reduce the bloating sensation.
4. Probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements will help to improve indigestion.
5. Pepto bismol to relieve any abdominal discomfort.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.