Natural way to lower CEA levels? Is alkaline diet is important?

General Surgeon
Is there a natural way to lower CEA levels eg food or supplements. I've heard that an alkaline diet is important.
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Why do you want to decrease CEA level? This is a protein used to monitor colon cancer progression/regression. If it is elevated may indicate colon cancer and other cancers as well. Also inflammatory bowels disease can make this protein elevated.
And there is no point in lowering its level the protein itself does not cause any negative effects in your body.

The diet witch can lower this protein is Plant Based Diet (without flesh and drugs, high fiber, raw and cooked vegetables, fresh fruit juices).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Natural way to lower CEA levels? Is alkaline diet is important? 26 hours later
Thank you for your quick reply. I am taking Fermara for breast cancer. The CEA number and what it means has been explained to me. Mine is at 12 and I was just wondering if there is a way to get it down to normal.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later
Well, like I have said before plant based diet can do that. I just hope you have had colonoscopy done and colon cancer were ruled out.
Just one more thought. CEA, as you know, is used to monitor colon cancer. If you will decrease it with diet and for some reason it will elevate again, doctors can miss it (because they wont be aware that you have decreased it). So it seems that its better to leave it alone and repeat this test from time to time so the result can be compared.

Follow-up: Natural way to lower CEA levels? Is alkaline diet is important? 4 hours later
Thank you. I have had a colonoscopy and everything is fine. I have a healthy diet so I will take your advice and carry on.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
You are welcome.