Nasal congestion, post nasal drip, thick mucus, ears ringing, had gall bladder operation. Any ideas?

hello i recently had a gallbladder operation ... Helped with my digestion, but not my congestion.
For months .... when i wake up, i have a bowel movement, develop congestion of the nasal passages, post nasal drip of thick mucus - my stomach is unsettled and i need to loudly retch to clear out the feeling as if vomiting. My ears are also ringing from the daily coughing up. can't seem to find something that will stop this ... steroid nose sprays dry out only the nose -- but the feeling reaches down to my throat and esophagus. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
Your symptoms are likely to be caused by nasal congestion due to allergies or viral infection. The ringing in the ears is due to congestion of the eustachian tube. These symptoms are usually self limiting. Symptomatic relief can be found with use of
a) Steam inhalation using warm water and menthol three times a day.
b) Topical saline nasal drops - 2 drops instilled into each nostril in the morning.
c) Antihistamines / mast cell stabilizers.
d) Avoiding dust and allergies
e) Adequate rest; proper nutrition and plenty of fluids.
To rule out any repeated sinus infections, you should get an ENT examination along with transillumination test of sinuses or x-ray sinuses done. You may also use nasal sprays containing antihistaminics or corticosteroids but these are to be taken under prescription.
Take more of vitamin C which is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Nasal congestion, post nasal drip, thick mucus, ears ringing, had gall bladder operation. Any ideas? 29 hours later
my doctor started me on antihistamine today Allegra 180 mg it seems to have some effect so far today, but have not yet experienced the morning hours when it is worst .. i have the saline nose spray will use that

i also think maybe there is something in my bedroom -- dust, mold. etc??

i am also starting the vitamin c

will decongestants help??

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. Using decongestants will be helpful. Allegra will produce its optimum effect in 2-3 days.
Do use a humidifier in your room and continue with steam inhalation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.