Nasal block, croaky voice. on antibiotics with no relief, taking cod liver oil, using nasal sprays. no medical history. Treatment for nasal blockage ?

hi i have had a croaky voice for approx 4 weeks and on about 4 occasions been sick not very large amounts iv been prescribed anti biotics which did no good ,then i went back and was seen by another doctor who said the anti biotics would,nt work ,he said i had a nasal blockage and has given me a spray which i have to put 2 squirts up each nostril twice a day at the moment the spray is not making a great impact on the problem ,and im starting to get a little concerned as iv rarely ever been ill .i am 55 years old never smoked and kept myself fit ,i take extra high strength cod liver oil capsules iv taken them for around 8 years now
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the symptoms which you report I really do not think there is a bacteria which is causing your problems. I agree with your most recent doctors opinion that antibiotics will not necessarily provide you with a significant degree of reliable relief.

At this point. Your doctor has very likely proscribed you a mild steroid spray what you are using in the nostril each day. It will take at least 10 to 14 days before this medication begins to get to its therapeutic level. Please be patient with disk and I am sure it will start to make an impact on your quality of life as well as the symptoms what you are experiencing.

I might consider suggesting one additional over-the-counter preparation but you might purchase. This is a medication called Claritin. There are many over-the-counter equivalents of this medication which are available at your local pharmacy. This typically will come in a 10 mg tablets which you take once per day. This medication will help decrease the amount of secretions which are generated by your nasal and sinus passageways. I firmly believe that a combination of these medications including the nasal spray and this over-the-counter preparation in addition to a very healthy balanced diet and exercise regimen will provide you with a good resolution of your symptoms. I also suggest that you might consider changing your diet to decrease the amount of dairy products which you consume on a daily basis. I also suggest that you decreased any significant intake of sugar. Buy sugar. I am referring to any sweet or we find sugar products. Overtime excessive amounts of this type of food can cause you to generate more secretions.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga