My mother is 83 years old and donated a kidney

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My mother is 83 years old and donated a kidney about 25 years ago to her brother and now has Stage 2-3 kidney disease. She wears an S-ring due to some bladder incontinence and is prone to chronic bladder infections. She had one during the summer and has recently discovered the bacteria is klebsiella pneumonia. She went to the doctor because also this summer, her ankles started swelling in the mornings and she started to experience severe muscle stiffness. Most recently, it took her about two hours to get goig each day because she was in severe pain that made her want to cry. Could this be caused by the Klebsiella infection? Should she remove the S-ring also?
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic kidney disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Usually chronic kidney infection can cause deficiency of calcium and Vitamin D3. The Klebsiella itself wouldn't cause muscle stiffness.

This can cause muscle spasms and weakness.

It would be advisable to get Blood urea, Serum creatinine, Serum Vitamin D3 and Serum Phosphorus tests done to look for the same.

She can be supplemented with Vitamin D and Calcium.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu