My mole hurts to touch, what does this mean?

Question
My mole hurts to the touch, what does this mean?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Radhika 16 minutes later

I understand the pain over the mole would be very concerning especially when your grandmother had to suffer from melanoma. I hope your grandmother is doing well now.

Yes, painful mole needs medical attention. If you notice any secondary changes such as colour changes, itching, bleeding, pain, irritation, rapid increase in size of the mole, you are right to seek immediate evaluation by your doctor. You may probably have some kind of infection/inflammation happening over the area. Rarely such changes could mean there could be some metaplastic changes or some form of tumour developing.

Focal examination of the mole and if needed a biopsy will reveal the pathology. Your dermatologist may then plan surgical removal of the mole.

I encourage you to fix an appointment with your dermatologist at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow ups.