My husband has cancer and the proposed treatment is chemo

Question
My husband has cancer and the proposed treatment is chemo - a large dose every three weeks. The other option is a smaller dose every week. My husband has no spleen - I would like to know the positives and negatives about each treatment for a person without a spleen.
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. There is a risk of infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I understand your concern. A patient with no spleen is at an increased risk.of infections. It is highly advisable to undergo vaccination against, meningococcal, influenza and streptococcal infections prior starting chemotherapy. Three weekly vs weekly chemo has no significance with spleen. In general, weekly chemo is bettwr tolerated with lesser side effects. Please share detail of disease, stage and chemo drugs details.
Thanks and regards