My daughter has a huge mass,on ovaries and fallopian tube

Oncologist
Question
My daughter has a huge mass,on ovaries and fallopian tube. I have pictures of the MRI taken yesterday and would like to forward for your opinion. It's an 18 cm mass and her doc is taking her time. It took 4 weeks for MRI after mass discovered in CAT scan, this mass was only 13 cm 4 weeks ago. I want her to go to ER as I don't think they would let her leave because of possible rupture. Btw, she is cardiac nurse at XXXXXXX Regional Health hospital. Your suggestions?
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You have not mentioned her age. Anyway, this is a large mass, appears pretty well defined on the images. If you can share the copy of the report then it would help. Were tumor markers like CA 125, beta HCG, AFP, etc done?

However, considering the size, I think surgery should be undertaken. It will give the final diagnosis also.

Hope this helps. I will be available for further follow up.

Follow-up: My daughter has a huge mass,on ovaries and fallopian tube 34 minutes later
She is 28 and her ARNP has NOT HAD ANY TESTS DONE AT ALL! This is why I am so upset. Do you think she should go to ER to get things moving??

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would go for surgery

Detailed Answer:
But obviously after checking the full MRI report and blood tumor markers. You can share the CT report with us also. That also should help.
You can approach the emergency but if there is no acute complaint, they can't do much. You can certainly take second opinion from another gynecologist.

Follow-up: My daughter has a huge mass,on ovaries and fallopian tube 0 minute later
If she was your daughter and you didn't think she was getting proper, what would you tell her to do? I am praying that you will give me your opinion. If she was your patient and you just saw these pictures, what would you tell her to do? Can you please tell me what your gut instinct is telling you?We don't have the report as the MRI was done late yesterday.