My SGPT level was81.lam not an alcoholist. I stopped alcohol

Gastroenterologist
Question
My SGPT level was81.lam not an alcoholist. I stopped alcohol consumption for the last three months. Then also my SGPT level is 65.lam using cholesterol medicine (Rose day 5mg) for last 6 months daily. But shot and other tests are normal. Can you please tell the reason behind this?
Posted Sat, 2 Dec 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild derangement of a particular enzyme has no significance.
To fully recover(alcoholic) your liver would take at least a year from abstinence.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have seen your details and i appreciate your concerns.
The normal range of values for SGPT is about 7 to 56 units per liter of serum.As you are asymptomatic just get a ultrasound done to rule out hepatitis (liver inflammation caused due to years of drinking).If usg is normal then mild detoriation of SGPT with bilirubin and other enzymes being at normal have no significance.

Please mention your direct indirect and total bilirubin levels?
It would take minimum a year for liver to recover fully in case of a alcoholic person.
As of now if ultrasound is normal there is no need to worry for mild increase.
We treat symptoms not numbers.
Hope i was helpful.
Thanks.

Follow-up: My SGPT level was81.lam not an alcoholist. I stopped alcohol 23 minutes later
result is attached

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Have seen reports.
Liver functions are almost normal.
Mild derangement has no significance in clinical scenario.
I want to assure you that you are fine.

Thanks!