Musty smell from nose and smells like mildew. Had sinus surgery and smell is worst. Suggest a solution?

ENT Specialist
Question
The smell from my nose is musty and smells like mildew. It stinks up the whole house. I had sinus surgery but the smell has gotten worse.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out Atrophic Rhinitis (Ozaena).

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Since you have has sinus surgery, you must rule out conditions like atrophic rhinitis (Ozaena), post nasal drip and acid reflux, which may also co-exist. Get a detailed ENT evaluation with Nasal Endoscopy done. Get a nasal swab sent for culture.

2. How long has this smell been present? Stasis of nasal secretions causes infections. Sometimes fungal, and build up of waste products of inflammation, infection, immune system by-products and gases like nitric oxide and ammonia. This would explain the musty, mildew like smell which you experience.

3. The sinuses may harbor silent infection. Fungal infections may exist only within the sinuses (as against invasive fungal infections) and yet cause allergic reactions. This constitutes Allergic Fungal Rhino Sinusitis (AFRS). Such fungal infections may be missed out on CT Scans and requires MRI Scans to detect.

4. Is the smell is apparent to others? If it is, it is unlikely to be an olfactory hallucination or damage to the (olfactory) smell area of the nose.

5. You may start with saline or alkaline nasal washes. You may follow up with your latest CT Scan, Nasal Endoscopy images and nasal swab culture reports here.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Musty smell from nose and smells like mildew. Had sinus surgery and smell is worst. Suggest a solution? 10 minutes later
How do I find Dr. who is willing to do a swab without signs of infection? My current Dr. did CT scan and keeps saying he doesn't see what could be the issue. Is there an ENT specialist in the NY area who specializes in sinus infections caused by mold or fungus? I take public trans. and people complain about me smelling.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Review of CT images.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. If you can upload your CT images (not the report), I will be able to give you an accurate assessment.

2. If your current doctor is the same one who did the sinus surgery, I would seek a second opinion.

Regards.