Muscle pain, high WBC, petechiae. Your perspective?

I had bilateral petechiae from inner mid calves to inner mid thighs lasted 1 month. This prompted a walk in clinic doc visit and I was told blood work came back normal. He didnt even mention my WBC being 3.2. Petechiae did go away. My next visit for something unrelated, the new doc looked at my blood work and seemed concerned over my wbc. Said she was a little more neurotic than the other doc and wants to run another CBC. First doc, everything is ok, second doc concerned. 36, female, no illnesses, tons of energy, love life. I wait train and thought petechiae could have been capillaritis, now I'm not sure. My platelets were 250. I did start having fibromyalgia type symptoms about a year ago, they ran tests then, XXXXXXX rheumatiod factor, even MRI all normal. I do still have intermittent, migrating muscle pain from time to time, nothing I can't handle and it is not getting worse. I exercise daily, take nutritional supplements and eat very healthy. Can you give me your perspective on this.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

First of all I want to reassure you that I doubt that there is any significant hematological problem going on in your case.

It is not uncommon for the white blood cell count to fluctuate around the upper or lower limits of normal. what is extremely important would be some type of trend where at the white blood cell count continues in one particular direction. I think it is reasonable to repeat the blood count but it is also understandable that with a white blood cell count of 3.6 without any obvious associated symptoms that the physician might not be particularly concerned.

It would also be important to review the White blood cell differential. This is the additional part of the complete blood count which describes the different types of white blood cells. I suspect in your case that there is no signification abnormality in that sense or your physician would have described it. If you would like you could share your results with me and I could review them as well

With a normal hemoglobin and a normal platelet count a slightly decreased white blood cell count is generally not worry some.

Again I think it is reasonable to repeat the blood test. If you would like to share those results with me for further discussion I would be happy to go and do that with you.

Dr Robert
Follow-up: Muscle pain, high WBC, petechiae. Your perspective? 9 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX

My WBC was actually 3.2, I am 36 :)
I trust your opinion would be the same with this number?
I do not have the differential but I suspect if the Doctor had seen anything significant he would have discussed it with me but as I indicated he didn't even mention my low WBC. It was the other doctor who came in and shook me up.
I agree to have another CBC. The test we have been discussing was administered 1 month ago, how long should I wait to repeat the test?

Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

The recommendation would be the same for a count of 3.2.

I would recommend that you obtain a repeat test roughly 6 to 8 weeks after the original study. I would be willing to bet that the results will be within normal limits.

Thanks again for summoning the question. Please not hesitate to contact us with any follow-up concerns.

Dr. Robert