Multiple uterine fibroids. Can I abort?

im 40 years old , 3 month pregnant and have multiple utirine fabroids 7cm, i want to abort the pregnancy can i do this. can i do an abortion , i live in a region where its a taboo so my doctor is not telling me what to do , just sayign that this is a complicated pregnancy and there is a risk of miscarrage or early delivery , but i want to do the abortion now . can i what are the risk if i do.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Radhika 37 minutes later

The practice of abortions is governed by laws which vary among different regions. The laws prevent practice of abortions in the middle eastern states. Few other states accept the procedure of abortions legally upto 12 weeks of pregnancy. After 12 weeks abortion is done on medical grounds (if XXXXXXX to fetus / mother is proved).

Now to answer your query,

Fibroid does affect pregnancy. There are instances where pregnancy induce changes in the nature of fibroid. Either of these 2 can induce complications, making it high risk pregnancy. Abortion after 12 weeks can be tried if not risky by a trained professional.
Attempting the same under an non professional (illegal abortion) can intensify the risks leading to excessive bleeding, severe trauma, infections and other serious complications to both pregnancy and you.

Hence I strongly recommend you to plan abortion under guidance of a professional. Perhaps a gynecologist from a different state (which permits abortion) will be able to guide you through this, if feasible

You may discuss with the specialist from a different state and plan the further course of action.

Hope my answers are informative and helpful to you. In case of any doubts I am available for the follow ups.